A sunny spring morning at Mayo Road saw the u15s host Birmingham Solihull for the first fixture between the two clubs at this age group.
What promised to be a tough fixture proved to be exactly that - a very competitive game with Shipston running out winners 41-22.
...Shipston started well with an early score but some uncharacteristic, slack, first up tackling, saw an equally early response from B&S. Another exchange of scores mid way through the first half saw Shipston leading 14-12. The second quarter of the game saw Shipston starting to string some nice passages of play together, and the second half saw Shipston showing their quality with excellent breakdown work, and some equally scintillating back play.
Scores today from Isaac Clayton, James Atkins, Will Crawshaw, Isaac Rowles, Sam Creagh and Christian Cummy (I think I've got the try scores but please tell me if I have it wrong!)
There were many highlights today;
* first class scrummaging and a great performance from our front 3 - bowers, mack and venners
* top clear out work and mobility around the park from our back row - perky, jacko and parker
* brilliant, direct running from Mr Clayton (remember that 3 metre channel!) and good mobility from the DD - our second row duo
* our half backs were outstanding and managed the game very well. Coxy's service continues to improve and impress, and Rowlsey's all round game management and vision gave us plenty of options to exploit any space
* in the middle field - solid inside centre work from Speechley, who seems never to have an off game, is complimented by the silky, balanced running of Mr Atkins.
* the two wings today looked sharp and dangerous - when it comes to finishing, it's almost always top draw
* today at fullback, Mr Crashaw, had an impressive morning, topped off by an excellent score in the corner
* and super contributions off the bench from our replacements
The boys put on a great show for the big crowd today, and once again, expressed themselves beautifully. It is a pleasure to be part of this group with the Rugby they have produced over the past few weeks.
Too many highlights today to single one out. Just a fantastic performance, which lines us up nicely for the run in to the end of the season.
Very well done lads - let's stay committed to continually improving ourselves.